Monday, March 10

Team: Connections & Philippines 2006

It's amazing to see what God does, how He worked and orchestrated things in my life and the people around me! How He answered prayers, how quickly things have been falling into place, and people brought together, "For such a time as this!" I mean, I....you know what, why don't I start at the beginning! (I can give more details, then you might care for, but hey...there's nothing like a good story, eh?)

It was the fall of 2006, and I was having a rough day. Wanted some time with just God and I. Normally I would not suggest anyone skip church--sometimes we need people when we are down, and the encouragement of Christ that fellowship with the Saints can bring--but that Sunday, that is exactly what I did! The night before, I had managed to talk Mom into letting me have the car in the morning so I could drive to church myself. But then that morning, all I wanted to do was be alone with God, in the most secluded place I knew (where I could sing and shout without annoying anyone!): in the car while driving. So, instead of going to church, I called my pastor and told him I wasn't going to be coming to church (so he wouldn't worry when I didn't show up, since his wife was usually my ride and she wasn't around that weekend). And I went on a drive...A long one. Out onto roads I've never been on--and hoping and praying I could find my way back since I'm quite directionally challenged! And during the drive I had a long talk with God. Some of it was about my wanting to do something significant; about wanting to go on a mission’s trip, though I understood that I was valued and needed here and nothing was more significant in the Kingdom then any other thing. Nonetheless, I still asked for it. And that somehow He would work it out with someone who knew me and my abilities (or lack there of) and would be all right working with me...He spoke too, but mostly He listened...

And He heard me!

Of course I did not know how much till later that day. I got home to hear my Aunt and Uncle and Cousin were coming over briefly so my Dad could look at some kind of electronic problem my Uncle could not figure out (they're both geeks, but I guess my Dad is more so then his brother). Well, as it happened, not but two seconds after they popped in, my Aunt Debby turns to me and asks if I want to go to the Philippians with her in November!

Oi! You bet I said "YES!" For without a doubt, it had come as the answer to my prayer! And quicker then I had thought! But it was well it was asked then, for I did not have long to raise support and get my finances in order to go.

I went to one of my Aunt's women's conferences in Olean, NY to familiarize myself with her teachings and how she operated in the ministry (I have no idea why I had never done so before!). Then a couple weeks later I stayed at their house for a couple days before flying out of Buffalo. This all helped me familiarize myself with a couple of people that would be on our team, as well. And later, I would see what else it worked into (isn't God amazing how He works, sometimes? What seems so insignificant can mean so much in the long run!).

The Philippians was an awesome trip! The flight was LONG (16hours for one flight alone, not to mention all the connections) and we skipped about 12hrs through all the time changes and the International Date Line. But once we were there, we did several conferences. Went to several churches and did multiple services. And traveled all over the island to do so....I experienced for the first time, what it was like to have God "knock people out" when little me laid hands on them! God used me! How cool was that?! ...But I also learned a lot on the trip. Having been sheltered and homeschooled most of my life, learning how to work as a team and as a friend (and talk in a way that made sense and didn't hurt people) was all still new to me. But through it all, I learned what a source of wisdom and understanding Aunt Deb was--which would also be valuable later on--and built a great friendship/mother-daughter relationship with her as well as a good friendship with the others!

I had gone on the trip, planning for quite some time before to try and move out of my parents' home and get my own place. And at least a couple hours away. But I used up every penny I had to go on the trip. So during the trip, I learned how to trust God in a newer way: let go. Whenever my hope to be able to move out would arise while on the trip, followed by a thought of how impossible that would be since I had almost nothing to live on, I would turn it back over to God and shove it aside. Verbally, when Deb would ask how I was doing, I would (in faith) tell her that "Somehow God'll work it out, and when I get back it will just fall into place!" (I had told God, more then once, that I did not want to be home much longer after the holidays, and the sooner the better!)

Well of course, once again, GOD HEARD ME!

On the flight back from the Philippines, Deb and I got to talking. She and Fred were in need of help to keep their growing ministry running...I still don't remember how or when exactly it came about, but the next thing I knew I had grabbed my stuff from their house, and was back at my parents' home planning on moving out shortly after Christmas! AND in with Deb, Fred, and my wonderful cousin Marie-Louise! ...I had less then a week, before I moved some of my stuff their house and helped Fred send out their mailings (I had always loved to do bulk mailings! so simple!). Then I went home, had Christmas and went to church to tell my beloved church family "hello" and "goodbye" in one turn (I miss them so!). And was back two days before New Years, moving the last of my stuff into what used to be Fred's office (they did some shuffling over the Holidays; so sweet!) and then had a night all to myself (I had arrived to an empty house, and would not expect them back from late Christmas celebrations till the next evening)....

SEE how important it was that I had been at their house before and after the trip? I was now familiar with the surroundings and how the house worked!
...what's more, one of the other woman on the trip, who had been at the house before and after the trip too, is someone I discovered came up every weekend (Cathy Hoffman) with her husband to go to church with Fred and Deb since they consider that church their home church and are still trying to move up here! Good thing I connected, eh? 'Cuz I got her for another mom now, in case I need another one. And I had connected with the church during the conference earlier. And now they are my new church family!

And that is just the beginning!

0 comments: