Friday, April 4

April Fools: The Prank

So here I am back at the house in Olean. Just the Hoffman's here off and on, they're here to make sure my cousin has a ride to and from school during the week and gets off to Grandma's during the weekends and holidays; meanwhile, Fred & Debby and Tim are still in Africa...

Or so it was on the day when pranks are usually pulled: APRIL 1st. Of course, the whole idea of April Fools was forgotten in Africa and those of us at the house had a brief thought of it, but never any time nor draw to see it through. So it was forgotten--for me that was nothing new since I've never pulled a prank in my life! (I've left blessings and scared people with a brief message that always ended in "April Fools" before I could really fool or scare them!)

I'm too nice. Always thought of pulling a prank, but why would you want to do something even as mild as a short-sheeted bed when you weight the possibilities?! What if they were really tired, looking forward to crawling into bed, and then...! Oi! I would hate it and would not appreciate it then! So why do something that could backfire and not be enjoyable to the person you're pulling the prank on? Even a really mild prank? Why take the risk you'll hurt them?

BUT, for the first time, I've felt comfortable enough with a group of people to not fear their wrath. Or anger. And to realize I'm not doing anything harmful or hurtful, but mild and funny...definitely no worse then what they've done to me! (picture me being held down while they put underwear on my head! Or when they dressed me as a baby! Or as a little country bumpkin!)...Besides, they don't embarrass easy (probably why they enjoy picking on me; their favorite thing is to see what facial expression they might see me do for the first time!)

So, I unofficially moved--and warned everyone--that April Fools back a couple days later for those in the Davis Household. AND I took a chance; a chance with the potential of backfiring!

Fred & Deb and Tim came back from Africa yesterday afternoon. Emily and Michelle had come up the night before, so it was like an Africa Team reunion (minus Tina, so sad!). And, like usual, us younguns (Michelle, Emily, Tim, & I) stayed up late talking into the wee hours of this morning then finally crawled into our beds. I felt bad, and waited for the reaction from the next room over, where Tim slept. But I never heard anything!

Well, I was thankful Tim did not seem to have a problem at all, because we had all been exhausted when we finally crawled into bed this morning. But later, after we had slept several hours and actually started to get up this morning and Tim popped in to say "good morning" to us, we got to talking and asked him if he had a hard time sleeping or something.
*Laugh*
Well apparently it had never occurred to him that the bed had something wrong with it on purpose! And when we suggested it, he did not think at first that I had been the one to short-sheet it...He'd had a hard time getting into bed; could not get his legs in and thought it was odd, but then he gave up and simply stuck his feet out from under the covers and wrapped them around the top. And fell asleep peacefully after that!

So, while the prank did not backfire in bumming out either of us, since he was so tired and I would have felt bad, it did backfire in that he never even thought of that! He wasn't even sure what was a short-sheeted bed! But at least I pulled my first prank! Even if I did have to point it out to get noticed, and then show him and Emily what a short-sheet bed is!

That was our April Fools...postponed till the 4th!
And my first prank!

0 comments: